Yum! This recipe is deliciously simple. Start by gathering the ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 2 inch pieces (Or leave out if you’re going vegetarian-style!)
- Cooking oil spray (olive oil preferred)
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounce jar Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (I like Classico brand, found next to spaghetti sauces at the grocery store)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 package whole-wheat spaghetti
- In a bowl, stir together pesto, wine, water and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Spray a skillet with cooking oil spray. Sautee the chicken over medium high heat, about 2 minutes each side.
- Add the eggplant, spinach, and pesto mixture. Turn heat to low, cover and continue to cook for 6-8 more minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- When finished, toss everything together and serve!
Here, I actually cooked the veggies separately from the chicken. But I would recommend doing it all together for simplicity! The eggplant really takes on the flavor of the pesto and tastes delicious!
This recipe was inspired by the Meals in Minutes Cookbook by the American Heart Association. Click here to purchase the book on Amazon.