The farmer’s market can be a great place to get deals on fresh produce, if you know a few tricks! Here are my top 5 tips to scoring great deals at the farmers market:
5. Find the biggest market in your area: It’s the laws of capitalism: more vendors means more competition, which equals better prices! Find a farmer’s market near you at http://www.localharvest.org/.
4. Shop around: Take some time to browse around for the best deals. Chances are, many vendors are selling similar items.
3. Buy in bulk: You might be able to get a better deal if you buy more! Many items freeze well if you can’t eat them all. For tips on how to freeze fruits and vegetables, click here.
2. Become a regular: Pick out your favorite farm vendors and visit their stand regularly. Once they start to recognize you, they might just throw in little extras for you. One of my favorite farm vendors gives me entire bags of produce free of charge.
And the number one trick to getting great deals at the farmers market…
1. Go when the market is about to close: When it’s time to pack up and go home, many farmers slash produce prices so they don’t return home with excess inventory that they must pack, unload, and unpack all over again. This is my best tip, and how I got 30 lbs of peaches for $4 today!