Today you’re in for a special treat… my favorite recipe of all time! This has been a favorite of mine since I was 13 years old, and I have yet grow tired of it. This recipe has more ingredients and steps than my other recipes, so I usually make it in large quantities. Frequently, I’ll make a huge batch of this on Sunday and eat it all week long!
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 pound pork tenderloin or pork loin, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 heaping Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bullion Low Sodium Beef Base
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Cook brown rice and lentils according to package directions. When finished, mix rice and lentils together.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil and begin sautéing onions. Add pork and 1 Tablespoon of the cumin and cook, stirring frequently, until pork is almost cooked through. (About 4 minutes.) Remove pork from skillet and set aside.
- Mix Beef “Better than Bullion” and hot water. Add to skillet. (If skillet is not very large, you can switch to a pot at this point.) Add wine and tomatoes. Heat until almost boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of cumin with just enough cold water to make a thin paste. Stir into skillet and allow sauce to thicken.
- Add mushrooms and pork to sauce, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cilantro. Add more cumin if desired to taste.
- Serve cumin seed stew on top of rice/lentil mixture.
Craving more? Click here for more of Nicole’s Healthy Recipes!