Occasionally, authoring a blog has its perks. Once, I got paid to participate in a survey about food and nutrition blogs. Another time, I got a free cookbook to give away. And, last week, I got some free healthy cereals to try. And not just the little sample-sized boxes. The full-sized versions. Score!
In this post, I’ll write a review of each of these cereals.
Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice
This organic, whole grain, gluten-free cereal has the crunch and “snap, crackle, pop” of traditional Rice Krispies. I enjoyed it’s light and crunchy texture, and whole grain goodness. Health rating: A+
Uncle Sam Original
This toasted whole wheat and flaxseed cereal is packed with good nutrition, and a whopping 10 grams of fiber per serving. It’s light, flaky, and also 100% whole grain. Health rating: A+
Creative Recipe Ideas
Eaten plain, these wholesome cereals can be a little, well, plain. Here are some fresh ideas to liven up these cereals:
- Mix with a little of your favorite less healthy cereal for a balanced breakfast or snack
- Make into whole-grain marshmallow treats
- Serve on top of fruit and yogurt for a crunchy treat
- Mix into your favorite trail mix or granola
- Make into Crunchy Banana Pops:
- Cut a banana in half and stick a popsicle stick into it
- Drizzle with honey and roll in your cereal of choice
- Freeze for at least 1 hour. Enjoy!