Many traditional eggplant parmesan recipes contain take over an hour to prepare and contain a whopping 1200 calories! My version, which I just invented tonight, takes 1/3 of the time and has 1/6 of the calories. And the taste? Amazing! Here’s how it’s done:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large eggplant (or 2 small ones), thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian spice blend
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, mushrooms, marinara sauce, and Italian spices. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is very soft. Cooking time varies depending how thinly you sliced the eggplant, but approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add cheese and basil. Stir and serve!
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 200, Total fat: 11 g, Saturated fat: 2.3 g, Carbohydrates: 21 g, Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 6 g
I love eggplant parm, and yes, it really does tend to have a lot of grease and calories when you get it out. But healthy versions can be just as tasty!