Recently, I’ve revised my morning breakfast routine. Here is my upgraded oatmeal recipe. The secret ingredient? An egg, cooked in with the oatmeal, adds a protein boost and creates a custard-like consistency. Delicious!
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen fruit, chopped (such as: apples, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, or mango)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk or soymilk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Microwave until the egg is cooked and the oatmeal is the desired consistency, usually 4-5 minutes on high.
Makes 1 serving.
Calories: 440, Total fat: 13 g, Saturated fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 210 mg, Sodium: 135 mg, Carbohydrates: 67 g, Fiber: 12 g, Protein: 18 g